Stock class tires and wheels?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stock class tires and wheels?

Post  TomB on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:45 pm

I have an '03 base miata, it has Bilstein's (LSD?). It is my DD in the warmer months. I did 3 autox last year and hope to do more this year. My car has Yoko S-Drive tires, 205/45-16 on stock wheels. I'd like to upgrade at least the tires, maybe wheels and tires but stay in the stock class. I was thinking of RE-11's or Advan AD08's. Also, I have read alot about unsprung weight and that 15" wheels and tires may be the best combo. So my question is, do I go with stock size tires on my stock 16" wheels or go to 15" wheels and tires? I realize that the 15" option will be more expensive but it will leave me with a set of tires and wheels, the 16's, that I can bolt on at any time I need them.

Thanks,
Tom

TomB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stock class tires and wheels?

Post  mike.s on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Don't worry about the weight. Don't worry about the size. By the time you should start worrying about these things you will definitely not be in stock class on street tires.

Do worry about the tire itself. Either A008 or cheaper Dunlop Direzza Z1 StarSpec is what you will want. Put them on your stock wheels.

mike.s

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TomB on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks, Mike. I hope to have new tires before the first event. You said don't worry about size but the closest StarSpec is 205/50-16 and the AD08 is 205/55-16. The RE-11 does come in the stock size but if you don't recommend them then I think I'll go with the Starspecs.

Tom

TomB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rtsap on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm not sure Mike was not recommending the RE11 I think he was just giving you a cheaper alternative since the Bridgestones tend to be the most expensive. They are all pretty equal so you can't make a bad choice and might as well go with the cheaper one since you are just starting.

rtsap

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mike.s on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:41 am

I was not recommending RE11s. Based on my very limited street use, I'm not a fan. Bill B. did a couple of events on them, he can give much more detail than I can. But logically, it's easy to look at the SCCA Tours and National and see what street classes run. And that's StarSpecs.

Than again, my street cars are still mostly on Azenis Smile

mike.s

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruiser on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 am

I wouldn't worry too much about the tires till you get more seat time. I drove on worn out street tires for my first 3 years and learned more about car control. Tires are more help once you get more experience. I would recommend trying other miatas with different tires before committing to buying new ones as it depends on your driving style as well. As far as the size, the 16" with the 45 ratio will give you stiffer sidewalls which is better on street tires for autoX, less chance for the tires to chunk. Just my views.
Rob

Bruiser

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TomB on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 am

Thank you, that's the kind of advice I was looking for. I think I will hold off for a while, work on the car control, see what the fast people are using and maybe do something mid-season, maybe next year.

Tom

TomB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mike.s on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I would wholeheartefly agree with what Rob said. If your own tires are not shot yet, drive and learn control on them.

Yoko S is not a bad tire (I'bve autocrossed at least one RX-8 on them Smile ).

mike.s

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top