Need a Clutch

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need a Clutch

Post  markymiata on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Took the car to fastrackservice.com, initially he thought it was a seal on the slave cylinder but it wasn't. He quoted 750.00 for new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and grinding of the fly wheel. I used to change clutches in my 67 Pontiac GTO. It was pretty easy back then. Anyone ever change one in their Miata? I'm considering doing it myself.
markymiata

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need a Clutch

Post  moerdogg on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:27 am

Never done it myself, but M.net has a very good walkthrough (yes it's for an NA, but it should be substantially similar to your car). Sounds like the most annoying parts are getting to the top bellhousing bolts, and re-aligning the spline during assembly. If you need a hand, I work for tasty brews and pizza.

Clutch kit for $106 here. I've bought a bunch of stuff from Finish Line, their prices are good and shipping is fast. Probably the same item offered by Flyin' Miata, Rock Auto, and any number of other companies. I'm presuming you have a stock (non-MSM) motor, of course.

You'll still need to get the flywheel re-finished, but I'm sure there are machine shops around who can handle that for a reasonable price.
moerdogg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fizzle on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:34 pm

i've got the same problem with my NB, I was quoted 650 - for the job, but i've changed the slave cylinder last year and i know that my clutch fork is pretty rotten and there is probably a few other extra's that will need replacing.
I've changed engines and clutches in jeep yj's and grand wagoneers - and its super simple - and of course i didn't need a jack to get under any of those.
my fear with this is the exhaust system - all the tips i've read say - pull it off at the head as one peice? has anyone done that - and then bought a new exhaust manifold gasket?
or should i try to cut the three bolts or whatever that hold it at the down pipe?

if the exhaust isn't brand new - i always feel like its a nightmare to deal with it.
i'd love to hear about the outcome of your adventure.
fizzle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  moerdogg on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:01 pm

fizzle wrote:i've got the same problem with my NB, I was quoted 650 - for the job, but i've changed the slave cylinder last year and i know that my clutch fork is pretty rotten and there is probably a few other extra's that will need replacing.
I've changed engines and clutches in jeep yj's and grand wagoneers - and its super simple - and of course i didn't need a jack to get under any of those.
my fear with this is the exhaust system - all the tips i've read say - pull it off at the head as one peice? has anyone done that - and then bought a new exhaust manifold gasket?
or should i try to cut the three bolts or whatever that hold it at the down pipe?

if the exhaust isn't brand new - i always feel like its a nightmare to deal with it.
i'd love to hear about the outcome of your adventure.

For the exhaust, I would highly recommend disconnecting the header at the cat and extracting it up through the engine bay. Trying to pull the whole exhaust through that way will make you hate life. Unless it's damaged, you can reuse the exhaust manifold gasket.

I didn't have a huge problem with the bolts holding my header to the cat, but my car has only seen one winter, and that was down in PA. If yours is a year-round New England car, break out the angle grinder! Or take it to a muffler shop and have them pull the bolts. I did that in college when I couldn't get some bolts off my truck's exhaust. They charged me $50 for it, and it was totally worth it. Pretty funny driving there with no muffler, though! You can get away with a lot more in rural PA.
moerdogg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top